THE CREEK, a Middle School Youth Center, is a private non-profit program welcoming ALL youth in grades 6 through 8.
We now have two Walnut Creek locations:
* Foothill Middle School Campus (925) 934-3324
* Walnut Creek Intermediate Campus (925) 952-4603
Hours of Operation:
After School – 6:00pm
Creating a bridge between peers, family and community, and the school environment is important in the happiness, the health, and success of the middle school youth.
THE CREEK provides the opportunity for youth to grow in all areas of development: social, emotional, physical and cognitive. We believe that youth need quality programs that provide supportive learning activities, positive peer and adult interactions, activities that promote confidence and self esteem, as well as, opportunities for community participation.
Why Middle School Care?
In response to a growing community concern, a new center for middle school youth opened in Walnut Creek September 2005. Although our community does a wonderful job providing afterschool care for elementary school children there were no options in our area for middle school care. The need for middle school youth to have a safe place to be after school was vital. Research shows that children who are not under adult supervision from 3:00 – 6:00 PM are at an increased risk to be victims of crime or to participate in inappropriate activities. This is also an age when teens are more susceptible to developing disorders associated with stress, such as depression and eating disorders.
- Helps keep youth safe
- Better grades and conduct in school
- Greater desire to help others
- Higher self-esteem
- Better decision-making skills
- Increased opportunity to make friends
- Higher achievement / motivation
- Higher level of interaction and communication with adults
- Decrease in criminal behaviors
- Decrease in drug and alcohol use